Kazakhstan

 

BIOFIN activities in Kazakhstan


Activities in Kazakhstan started in 2013 when the national Steering Committee was established. Activities in Kazakhstan follow as: 

The working group of the BIOFIN is chaired by the Vice Minister of Agriculture of Kazakhstan. BIOFIN experts supported the formation and finalization of the NBSAP Action Plan. The Action Plan is a multi-sectoral plan and was agreed upon with relevant authorities and scientific and research companies. An international consultant for the assessment of legislation and another expert to develop Resource Mobilization Plan has been hired. BIOFIN is also working on projects at two pilot sites. These projects are undertaking economic valuations of ecosystem services. 

The inception workshop of the project was held on 18 April 2014 in Astana, involving representatives from government agencies, BIOFIN donor governments, international organisations and NGOs. During the meeting, participants learned about the BIOFIN approach and discussed the potential of biodiversity finance mechanisms in Kazakhstan. A multi-sectoral advisory group (MSAG) to provide inputs into BIOFIN activities, is being established.

A workshop on the Green Economy was held in June 2015. The main focus of the workshop was on ecosystem services and the use of Ecosystem Valuation. The workshop gave opportunity to BIOFIN to further understand the biodiversity finances issues with government and NGO partners. 

A two-day workshop was held in July 2015. It was attended by multi-sectoral experts. They reviewed the recommendations and findings from the Policy and Institutional Review and the Biodiversity Expenditure Review. Private sector and some research institutes also participated and together they identified the main sectors which have the strongest links to biodiversity. There was also Steering Committee meeting in July 2015. This meeting brought together different key ministries, UNDP Kazakhstan and regional executive bodies. 

BIOFIN team in Kazakhstan is currently engaged in costing/finance needs assessment. They are also working on resource mobilization. 

1. Biodiversity Finance Policy and Institutional Review (PIR)

It has been completed in Kazakhstan. Through this process, the national BIOFIN Team mapped the impact of economic sectors on biodiversity, identified the main financing mechanisms being used and reviewed which subsidies have an impact on biodiversity. The Policy and Institutional Review also reviewed the overall financing architecture for biodiversity in the country and generated specific recommendations for an improved institutional framework.

2. Biodiversity Expenditure Review

Biodiversity Expenditure Review has also been nearly completed. It was found out that 87% of the funding for biodiversity comes from public sector. Remaining 13% is distributed among international/national donors, private funds and industrial companies. Through the Biodiversity Expenditure Review, the national BIOFIN team assessed which expenditures national stakeholders incur towards biodiversity, from both national and international resources, including the public and private sector. This helps the country generate national level expenditure data on biodiversity.

3. Biodiversity Finance Needs Assessment

Detailed calculations will be made to find out how much it would cost to complete all activities and reach all goals of the National Biodiversity Action Plan.

4. Biodiversity Finance Plan

Under this component BIOFIN will develop a strategy to mobilize potential finance actors and finance mechanisms to reach national biodiversity targets. 

Status: To start in 2016

5. Implementing the Biodiversity Finance Plan

The scope of activities shall be defined by the recommendations of the Resource Mobilisation Strategy. 

Status: To start in 2016

Read more about BIOFIN Kazakhstan on the UNDP Kazakhstan website.

Information about the country and partnerships

 

Country information: 

The country has around 100 protected areas of different categories. Assessments have shown more than 13,000 species reside in Kazakhstan. This inlcudes many endangered species, an example being the last surviving wild apple forests in the East of the Country.

Related Initiatives

1. Kazakhstan Green Bridge Initiative

2. UNDP Information System on the Monitoring of Biodiversity in Pilot Specially Protected Natural Areas (SPNA)

News

1. Kazakhstan hosts international conference devoted to integration of ecosystem services into “green economy”